Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Summer Professional Development without leaving the house

This summer, I have learned more than any staff development week could ever offer me.  A few things that I have done have really given me new insight into teaching and leadership.

1.  I beefed up my Twitter considerably.  I sought out people with hashtags like #edtech and #engchat and followed them.  I made use of my favorites tool to flag posts with great ideas.

2.  I did a few webinars online.  I did these through ASCD and other sites that I found on, you guessed it, Twitter.

3.  I found the site called livebinders http://www.livebinders.com/ that I intend to use for my classes next year.  It is a virtual three-ring binder.

4.  I joined groups on edmodo.  One group in particular, the English Flipped Class group, has amazing people who are excited about the flipped classroom concept.  And for English teachers, it means a little bit more than just "I assign reading at home."

5.  I will be part of a cohort of 25 going to the Folger Shakespeare Library for the Teaching Shakespeare Institute.  This is a part of several NEH workshops that take applications every year. 

6.  I made connections on Twitter and Edmodo to work on various projects that involve what I love (teaching, British Lit, etc).  These things not only satiate my appetite for my special loves in teaching, but they also are a great way to network and get your name out there.

7.  I read some great books.  Todd Whitaker has great books on leadership and teaching.  He has made me look at leadership in a different way.

Thanks for reading,
greta

No comments:

Post a Comment